Garmin has just announced a GPS watch designed specifically for aviators.
D2’s features include Garmin’s direct-to and nearest navigation functions, as well as a built-in altimeter with adjustable baro setting, altitude alerting capabilities, display of both local and Zulu/UTC time, and the ability to integrate with the Garmin Pilot app, VIRB action camera, and more.
D2 meets the needs of global aviators by offering a worldwide aviation database. Pilots can press and hold dedicated buttons for quick access to perform direct-to, nearest functions, as well as create fly-over waypoints of their current locations.
“With D2, we’re redefining the portable by integrating the same technology leveraged from decades of experience in manufacturing portable aviation GPS products,” said Carl Wolf, Garmin’s vice president of aviation sales and marketing. “D2 merges a sophisticated and elegant design while incorporating features which offer pilots a comprehensive flying experience.”
Additionally, pilots can load flight plans and create waypoints, similar to the capability found in Garmin’s portable GPS products. Other features include the option to assign customized data fields to display GPS ground speed, GPS track, distance, estimated time enroute, bearing, glide ratio and much more. D2 features altitude alerting which notifies pilots when they reach or leave a preselected altitude.
Pilots can navigate accurately with D2, which offers a built-in WAAS GPS, accurate altimeter with an adjustable barometric setting, compass with an HSI, and moving map page. With the option to set up vibrating alerts within D2, pilots are reminded of critical operations such as when to switch fuel tanks in-flight or any other time sensitive operation.
Pilots may also build flight plans and create waypoints within the Garmin Pilot app on compatible Bluetooth (BLE) devices and upload them to D2. Additionally, D2 will remotely control Garmin’s HD action camera, VIRB. When connected to VIRB, D2 has the ability to remotely start and stop video, view elapsed time for active video recording, as well as capture high quality still photos ? even when video recording is active.
Availability for D2 is anticipated in November at a price of $449.00.
For more information, visit the Garmin D2 Watch web page.
Physical & Performance
- Unit dimensions, WxHxD: 1.9″ x 1.9″ x .7″ (4.9 x 4.9 x 1.7 cm)
- Display size, WxH: 1.2″ (3.1 cm) diameter
- Display resolution, WxH: 70 x 70 pixels
- Display type: transflective, monochrome, negative mode LCD
- Weight: 2.9 oz. (82 g)
- Battery: rechargeable lithium-ion
- Battery life: up to 50 hours (GPS mode); 2 weeks (sensor mode); 5 weeks (watch mode)
- Waterproof: yes (50m)
- Floats: no
- High-sensitivity receiver: yes
- Interface: USB
Maps & Memory
- Basemap: yes
- Preloaded maps: worldwide basemap
- Ability to add maps: no
- Built-in memory: 20 MB
- Accepts data cards: no
- Waypoints/favorits/locations: 1000
- Routes: 50
- Track log: 10,000 points, 100 saved tracks
Features & Benefits
- Automatic routing (turn by turn routing on raods): no
- Electric compass: yes (tilt-compensated 3-axis)
- Touchscreen: no
- Barometric altimeter: yes
- Camera: no
- Watch functions: time, date, alarm, timer, chronograph, chimes and vibration
- This USB mass storage device is compatible with Windows® XP or newer and Mac® OS X 10.4 or later.